Friday, July 6, 2007

Rant: Page headers

Books should have meaningful page headers. I'm reading an omnibus edition of Tales of the Dying Earth right now, and it has no page headers at all. It's a burden. There are four novels crammed into those pages, with no visual cues on the pages. There's a table of contents, sure. It gives the starting page number of each novel. But when I'm flipping through the book, all I see are page numbers. Ideally, the name of the novel should appear on the top of each page. Even better, the novel name should be on each right-hand page, and chapter names on the left-hand pages. Is that too much to ask?

Most books do this already. It's especially important for collections, anthologies, and omnibus editions. I'm disappointed that Orb has neglected this crucial feature in its edition of Tales of the Dying Earth.

2 comments:

Thainamu said...

Today I was cleaning out my spam box and found a message from a spammer named Gentile with this URI. And it also told me his IP and where he works. These computers are so clever.

Have a nice day. :-)

Reader of Books said...

Well I do try to keep the spammers away, but they're sneaky.